Home Posts tagged cricket

Franchise ready for IPL 2020 to be called-off aimed coronavirus outbreak

After the kick-off of the 13th edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) was postponed as a precautionary measure against the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation, one of the franchises officials claimed that the owners are set to have a conference call at 6 pm on Monday (March 16).

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Friday (March 13) decided to suspend IPL 2020 till April 15, 2020.

In a statement, the BCCI said that it “will work closely with the Government of India along with the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and all other relevant Central and State Government departments in this regard”.

“We are having a conference call today in the evening and we will discuss the situation, but just look around. Schools, colleges, malls, theaters have all been closed,” the official was quoted as saying by IANS.

“In fact, even gyms have closed now after the fresh directive from the health department. So, in such a scenario, it is only obvious that we might get to a situation where the league may have to be called off for a season,” the official further added.

While another official said that the franchises are ready to bear the losses as was no other choice but to bear what’s happening.
The opening match of this year’s IPL was supposed to be played between the most successful teams of IPL – defending champions Mumbai Indians (MI) and Chennai Super Kings (CSK) – at the iconic Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on March 29.
“See, we will be having basic loses of around Rs 15-20 crore which comes with paying salaries and other things that come with the successful organization of the league,” the official claimed.
“But there are other loses as well like those that come from merchandise sales etc. While tickets and all are insured, these are loses which the franchises will have to bear if the tournament doesn’t happen. But then, we all realise that nothing beats human safety,” the official added.
India has recorded more than 100 positive cases so far with the global infected count standing at over 100,000. The death toll because of the virus has gone beyond 5,000 internationally.

IPL 2020: BCCI suspends 13th edition of tournament till 15th April

As a precautionary measure against the ongoing Novel Corona Virus (COVID-19) situation, the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has decided to suspend IPL 2020 till 15th April 2020.

Concerned about all its stakeholders and public health, the BCCI is taking all necessary steps to ensure everyone related to IPL have a safe cricketing experience.

In a statement, the BCCI said that it “will work closely with the Government of India along with the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and all other relevant Central and State Government departments in this regard”.

Earlier, BCCI President Sourav Ganguly has said that he would convince IPL franchisees to hold IPL matches behind the closed door.

Ganguly had said that the gate money from IPL matches (around Rs 4-5 crore per match) is inconsequential and secondary as compared to huge revenue from TV rights.

However, Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia has said that no sporting activities will be held in the capital.

ANI reported, “We have decided to ban any sports activity where people will gather in huge numbers like IPL. Social distancing is important to curb the breakout of Coronavirus.

“All big events, conferences, and sports gatherings have been banned in Delhi till further notice”.

Scchin reveals why Labuschagne is special, Ganguly back in UK for four-nation series talks and more

In Friday’s top Cricket News (February 7, 2020), we have Sachin Tendulkar claiming why he sees himself in Marnus Labuschagne.

Tendulkar is currently in Sydney to take part in a bushfire relief charity match scheduled for Sunday.

Team India’s fielding coach Ramakrishnan Sridhar said that the players have failed to live up to the fielding standards ahead of the second ODI match of the three-match series.

With a 1-0 lead under their belt in the three-match ODI series, New Zealand are set to take on India in Auckland on Saturday (February 8) for the second match.

Let’s take a look at the top five Cricket news in detail below:

1. ‘This player looks special’: Sachin Tendulkar reveals how Marnus Labuschagne reminds him of himself

Former Team India cricketer Sachin Tendulkar has heaped praises on inform Marnus Labuschagne on Friday (February 7) and said that the Australian batsman reminds him of himself.

2. BCCI president Sourav Ganguly in UK to hold further talks on four-nation ODI Super Series: Report

Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) President Sourav Ganguly once again flew out to United Kingdoms presumably to hold further talks over the much-speculated four-nation ODI Super Series which is set to take place from 2021.

3. NZ vs IND: Fielding coach R Sridhar disappointed with Indian players for not living up to standards

Team India’s fielding coach Ramakrishnan Sridhar claimed that the players have failed to live up to the fielding standards during the pre-match press conference.

4. ‘They made really bad calls’: Yuvraj Singh criticises Team India management, selectors over 2019 World Cup debacle

Yuvraj Sigh has once again lashed out the Indian team management and the selection committee for their poor planning for the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019.

5. WATCH: Fans chant ‘Anushka bhabhi zindabad’ to cheer up Virat Kohli after India’s loss to New Zealand

Indian fans at Seddon Park tried their best to cheer up Virat Kohli with a hilarious chant after the match ended. In a video, which has gone viral on social media now, fans can be heard chanting “Anushka bhabhi zindabad” in their attempts to boost their dear skipper’s mood.

Courtesy : DNA

Watch: AGM turns into punch fest as DDCA appoints Justice Deepak Verma as new Ombudsman

The Delhi and District Cricket Associations (DDCA) announced the appointment of Justice (Retd), Deepak Verma, as their new Ombudsman on Sunday (December 29) during their Annual General Meeting (AGM) which ended in a huge drama.

According to a DDCA statement, all its members unanimously “passed the resolutions and agendas”. However, Rajan Manchanda, the ruling group’s joint secretary, was slapped by opposition’s Maqsood Alam. 

“Honourable Justice Deepak Verma (Retd) was appointed as the new Ombudsman by the members,” the DDCA release said.

According to PTI reports, a source at the AGM said that the “disrupted by supporters of general secretary Vinod Tihara after resolution 3, 4 and removal of Justice Badar was defeated by almost 75 percent” of the members.

“The supporters of Vinod Tihara also manhandled MLA Shri Om Prakash Sharma and the attendance register was also snatched,” the source added.

“There were five agendas for the meeting — passing of annual accounts, appointment of statutory auditors, reappointment of retiring directors, adoption of new articles and appointment of Ombudsman,” the release added.

HERE IS THE VIDEO:

Former Team India batsman and BJP’s MP from Delhi, Gautam Gambhir, also took to Twitter and said: “DDCA GOES “ALL OUT”…AND DDCA IS ALL OUT FOR A SHAMEFUL DUCK. Look, how handful of crooks are making mockery of an institution. I’d urge  @BCCI   @SGanguly99   @JayShah  to dissolve  @delhi_cricket  immediately. Surely, sanctions or even a life ban for those involved.”

Courtesy : DNA

Ishant Sharma reveals why MS Dhoni’s captaincy didn’t help Indian pacers ‘achieve consistency’

Team India pacer Ishant Sharma has expressed his thoughts on why the fast-bowlers have been able to perform better under Virat Kohli’s captaincy in the longest format of the game, in comparison to how they performed under MS Dhoni.

The 31-year-old made his Test debut back in 2007 under Rahul Dravid’s captaincy and has also played under the leadership of Anil Kumble, MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli.

Ishant during an interview on Saturday (December 28) claimed that the pacers under Dhoni’s captaincy had no consistently due to the rotation policy of the team as the players also did not have “much experience” under their belts.

“Look during Dhoni’s time, some of us didn’t have that much of experience. Also the fast bowlers would be rotated a lot, that’s also a reason that consistency as a group couldn’t be achieved,” Ishant  told reporters after Delhi defeated Hyderabad in Ranji Trophy.

“But when Virat took over, we have all by then gained a fair amount of experience and that helped. Now when you play more, stay in that dressing room more, spend more time with the team compared to family, discussions are free and frank. And then you start enjoying when you go out there in the middle. That’s a different feeling,” he added.

In the past few years, Ishant has successfully established himself as one of the most trusted Team India’s Test bowls.

The speedster also revealed the reason why he doesn’t bowl back of length deliveries anymore.

“From the beginning, I got a tag and people started calling me “workhorse”, “workhorse”. So seniors at that time would tell me that you need to bowl 20 overs and if you even give 60 runs, you will still end up getting three wickets.”

“So that works on your mind that you have to bowl 20 overs. So you bowl back of length deliveries and batsmen start leaving those till they get set and then come back to attack you. And you end up giving away 80 runs,” he added.

Ishant also spoke about how Jason Gillespie’s training methods have helped him big time in recent times.

“Like first, I would put cones (on good length spots) during nets. But that’s okay for a youngster, who wants to get his areas right but for someone like me, I need to see where my ball is finishing rather than where it’s pitched.”

“The practice is almost the same but the outcome is different. Gillespie’s instructions ensured that my fuller delivery is faster now,” he claimed.

Courtesy : DNA

‘My job is to play well’: Hanuma Vihari finally breaks silence over his IPL 2020 auction snub

Team India cricketer Hanuma Vihari failed to find a buyer during the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 auction in Kolkata on December 19.

However, the 26-year-old isn’t too fussed over the topic of no one paying his Rs 50 Lakh base price, just a year after Delhi Capitals (DC) singing him for Rs 2 Crore.

“It’s not in my control and I don’t really want to comment on it. My job is to play well and win matches. I have done well for the state team in white-ball cricket.”

“So whenever I get an opportunity, I will do well for the India team as well,” Vihari told PTI.

Vihari then went on to add how he is now focusing to perform well in India’s upcoming Test series against New Zealand away from home.

“Now, I am really looking forward to the New Zealand trip. I have two India A games followed by the Test series (in February-March).”

“That will be an important series for us as we won’t have a Test series for a long time until we go to Australia. So it will be a good series and I’m really looking forward to leading India A.”

The Indian allrounder is also very much aware of what to expect against the Kiwis after his previous visit to New Zealand earlier last year with the India A side.

“With the conditions being windy, assistance of swing bowling, it will be a challenge,” he said. 

“But everyone has got good technique in the Indian team and we have done well overseas as a batting unit and looking forward to it,” he added.

Courtesy : DNA

Danish Kaneria slams Amir, claims players who sold country for money are still playing for Pakistan

When Shoaib Akhtar revealed that Danish Kaneria was treated unfairly by his Pakistani teammates just because he was a Hindu during an interview, the cricket fraternity did not back down from criticizing the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for their lack of authority.
Danish Kaneria was the only second Hindu player after Anil Dalpat to represent Pakistan in international cricket.

The former PAK international recently posted a video on his Youtube account and spoke in-depth about this controversy.

“To those who are saying I did this for cheap fame and for my Youtube channel, I want to remind them that I did not do it, Shoaib Akhtar spoke about discrimination against me on national television,” Kaneria said on relation to Miandad.
Javed Miandad on Friday (December 28) claimed that Danish can do anything for the sake of money.
“You have cut off my hands and feet. I have not been employed for so long. What else do you want? Should I finish myself off?” he claimed.

HERE IS THE VIDEO:

The 39-year-old also dragged in a current PAK team regular, Mohammad Amir, and fired shots at the cricketer in his video.
“People are saying I played for Pakistan for 10 years. But I played for 10 years at the cost of my blood. I gave blood to the cricket pitch. I kept bowling even when my fingers bled.”
“There are people who have sold their country and who are still welcomed in the team. I never sold my country for money,” he added.
Among the list of bowlers, Danish Kaneria is fourth on the list with most Test wickets for Pakistan. He is behind fast bowlers Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, and Imran Khan.
After allegations of being involved in spot-fixing, Kaneria was given a lifetime ban by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

Courtesy : DNA

BBL 2019-20: Dale Steyn claims Glenn Maxwell is on same level as Virender Sehwag and AB de Villiers

Veteran South Africa fast bowler Dale Steyn has lauded his Melbourne Stars skipper, Glenn Maxwell, claiming that the Aussie cricketer on the same level as Virender Sehwag and AB de Villiers.

The 31-year-old recently announced his availability to competitive cricket after opting to take time off the sport to deal with mental health issues in October this year.

Maxwell has easily been one of the top T20I players in world cricket over the past few years, who marked his comeback to competitive cricket with a blockbuster innings of 83 runs off 39 balls in the Big Bash League on December 20.

“When it comes to T20, you very rarely get guys that strike it as cleanly as he does. He’s very smart, too, the way he goes about it.”

“You talk about guys like AB de Villiers being a 360 (degree) player but ‘Maxi’ is up there, too. It’s just a nickname that AB’s earned because he plays like that, but had AB not been around you could’ve easily nicknamed someone like Maxi ‘Mr 360’ because he’s got that capability of taking you down in areas you don’t want the ball to go,” Steyn said.

Maxwell’s ability to take on any bowler and hit their delivers out of the part also earned him a million-dollar move to Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Kings XI Punjab (KXIP) during the IPL 2020 auction on December 19 in Kolkata.

“He’s got strong wrists. There’s not many players that can hit you for six over point; Sehwag was someone that could open the blade like that. (Maxwell is) very clever because the next ball he could flick you over deep square, so as a bowler you’re always guessing what he’s up to,” Dale claimed.

“You bring third-man up, you bring point up, he hits you for six there. You change it up and he hits you for six somewhere else. He’s a phenomenal thinker of the game and then ultimately he can execute, too,“ he added.

Courtesy : DNA

‘Taken completely out of context’: Shoaib Akhtar backtracks from claims on Danish Kaneria controversy – Watch

After Shoaib Akhtar claimed that Danish Kaneria was treated unfairly by his Pakistani teammates just because he was a Hindu during an interview, the cricket fraternity did not back down from criticizing the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for their lack of authority.

However, the former Pakistan speedster has now backtracked on his claims on Sunday (December 29) and claimed that his words were taken out of context.

Shoaib posted a new video on his Youtube account and provided clarification about his previous comments made over the controversy.
“I watched the mess that was made of my statement, which was taken completely out of context. I have given a thorough & complete response to all the criticism, addressing it point by point. Watch the video. Understand what i was trying to say,” Akhtar’s post on Twitter read.
“There is unwritten contract that we got to respect every player no matter what. But there was some hesitation shown by a few players. This is not our team’s code of conduct. This is just 1-2 players’ and there are these kinds of players all over the world who pass racist comments,” the former cricketer said in his video.

“We, as a society, should realise that this should be nipped from the bud. I am a product of this society and I did that. I had told them I will throw you out if you talk like this (about Kaneria’s faith). Because this is not our culture.”
“We as a nation did not let such discriminatory thoughts prevail. We stopped it there. We have improved a lot as a society in the last 10-15 years,” he added.

HERE IS THE VIDEO:

[embedded content]
Danish Kaneria was the only second Hindu player after Anil Dalpat to represent Pakistan in international cricket.
Among the list of bowlers, Danish Kaneria is fourth on the list with most Test wickets for Pakistan. He is behind fast bowlers Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, and Imran Khan.
After allegations of being involved in spot-fixing, Kaneria was given a lifetime ban by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB).

Courtesy : DNA

‘It is their opinion’: PCB refuses to ‘get involved’ in Danish Kaneria controversy

When Shoaib Akhtar revealed that Danish Kaneria was treated unfairly by his Pakistani teammates just because he was a Hindu during an interview, the cricket fraternity did not back down from criticizing the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for their lack of authority.

However, on Friday (December 27), the country’s cricketing board decided to make comments over the matter.

PCB decided to distance themselves from the matter and claimed that neither they nor the “entire Pakistan cricket set-up” can provide any answers about the matter.

A board spokesperson also expressed his thoughts over the fact and said it’s unfair to involve the PCB into this controversy.

“Look both Akhtar and Kaneria are retired players they are not contracted to us so they can do or say what they want. It is their opinion. And they are making allegations about behaviour of some players not about the entire Pakistan cricket set-up or board,” the PCB spokesperson was quoted as saying. 

“Inzamam-ul-Haq, Rashid Latif, Younis Khan, Muhammad Yousuf, all these guys captained Pakistan when Kaneria was playing. They should respond to what Akhtar and Kaneria are saying. Why should the board get involved?”, the spokesperson added.

Former Pakistan players Iqbal Qasim and Mohsin Khan, have come out in support of Kaneria and urged the bowler to expose the names of the cricketers who mistreated him.

“If some players have mistreated Kaneria only because of his religion than they must be exposed,” Qasim claimed.

Mohsin said, “A player should only be judged on his cricketing ability and commitments to the team not his religion, colour or creed.”

Danish Kaneria was the only second Hindu player after Anil Dalpat to represent Pakistan in international cricket. 

Among the list of bowlers, Danish Kaneria is fourth on the list with most Test wickets for Pakistan. He is behind fast bowlers Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, and Imran Khan.

After allegations of being involved in spot-fixing, Kaneria was given a lifetime ban by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB). 

He was prevented from playing in matches under their jurisdiction. He then filed an appeal against the ban, but it was rejected in July 2013.

Courtesy : DNA