Calicut University is a government university which was established in 1981 and is known as a school of distance education. The institution is affiliated to the University Grants Commission of India and offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The University of Calicut is well recognized and has received rankings like Ranked 54 for University by NIRF in 2020 and Ranked 40 for University by the Outlook in 2019.
The school of distance education at Calicut University has many facilities for the students and does not lack behind in this department. It offers facilities like Library, Grievance Redressal Cell, Web Centre and many more.
- Many top recruiting companies come to the University of Calicut for the placements, companies that come are Infosys, HCL, Tata Consultancy Engineers Ltd, Tech Mahindra, and many more.
- The Calicut University offers 26 programs, out of which 14 consists of Undergraduate courses and 12 Postgraduate courses.
- The University boasts of 30 departments catering to courses at UG, PG, PhD Diploma levels.
Here, we will talk about the courses offered, fees and eligibility requirements at the University.
Here a few important details about Calicut University, which is important for the students to know-
|Year of establishment||1968|
|Also known as||The University of Calicut|
|Accreditation||“A” Grade by the NAAC|
|Number of departments||30+|
|Number of off-campus centers||3|
|University rankings||Ranked 54 for University by NIRF in 2020 Ranked 40 for University by the Outlook in 2019|
|Number of courses offered||30+|
|Admission criteria||Entrance-based or merit-based|
|Accepted entrance exams||BTech: KEAM MBA: CAT/ MAT/ CMAT/ KMAT MTech: GATE|
|Mode of education||Full-time|
Calicut University – Courses Offered
Calicut University offers many UG and PG courses with many specializations. The fees of the courses differ and have a different duration for each course. The list of courses is given below-
Bachelor of Business Administration-
● BBA is a 3-year undergraduate correspondence course with many specializations.
● The specializations offered at Calicut University in BBA are Finance, Human resource management, and marketing.
Bachelor of Arts-
● It is a 3-year undergraduate correspondence course with many specializations.
● The specializations offered in Bachelor of Arts are Afzal-Ul-Ulama, Arabic, Economics, English, Hindi, History, Malayalam, Philosophy, Political Science, Sanskrit, Sociology.
Bachelor of Commerce-
● It is a 3-year undergraduate correspondence course at the Calicut University with many specializations.
● The specializations offered in Bachelor Of Commerce are Tourism And Travel Management, Banking & Finance, Banking And Insurance, Computer Applications, and Co-operation.
Bachelor of Science (Mathematics)
● The BSc in Mathematics is a 3-year undergraduate correspondence course.
● Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) does not offer any specializations in this course.
Master of Arts
● It is a 2-year postgraduate correspondence course.
● The specializations offered in Master of Arts are Arabic, Economics, English, Hindi, History, Malayalam, Philosophy, Politics, Sanskrit, Sociology.
Master of Commerce
● It is a 2-year postgraduate correspondence course.
● The specializations offered in Master of commerce are Finance and Marketing.
Master of Science (Mathematics)
● The MSc in Maths is a 2-year postgraduate correspondence course.
● Master of Science (Mathematics) does not offer any specialization.
Calicut University – Eligibility Criteria
Aspirants, who have already passed 12th from a recognized board, are eligible to apply for UG courses offered by Calicut University. It is important for the students to clear the basic eligibility criteria to seek admission in the desired course. The eligibility requirements for each course is different and the candidate needs to go through it before applying-
|Courses at Calicut University||Criteria|
|Bachelor of Business Administration||The candidates must have cleared Intermediate from HSE of Kerala State Board or should have cleared from a well-reputed board with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks and 5% concession for OBC/OEC and SC/ST candidates only need to clear|
|Bachelor of Arts||The candidates must have cleared Intermediate from HSE of Kerala State Board or any other recognized university/ board|
|Bachelor Of Commerce||The candidates must have cleared Intermediate with at least one subject in commerce from HSE of Kerala State Board or any other recognized university or board with a minimum aggregate of 45% and a 5% concession is given to OBC/OEC candidates. SC/ST candidates need to clear.|
|Bachelor of Science (Mathematics)||The candidates must have cleared intermediate with Mathematics from HSE of Kerala State Board or any other well-renowned university/ board|
|Master of Arts||One must have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject with a minimum aggregate of 45% marks and a 5% concession is given to OBC/OEC candidates. SC/ST candidates only need to just clear|
|Master of Commerce||Aspirants must have a Bachelor’s degree in B.Com/BBA/BBM with a minimum aggregate of 45% and 5% concession is given to OBC/OEC candidates and the SC/ST category candidates only need to clear|
|Master of Science (MATHEMATICS)||The candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in B.Sc (Mathematics) with a minimum aggregate of 50% marks and a 5% concession is given to OBC/OEC candidates and SC/ST category candidates only need to clear|
Fees of Courses at Calicut University
Different courses at Calicut University have different fees, the candidates have an option to pay the fees every year. The fee is well divided for each year. Here is a glimpse of fees for different courses:
|Course||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Total Fee|
|Bachelor of Arts||₹3,160||₹1,545||₹1,545||₹6,250|
|Bachelor Of Commerce||₹3,380||₹1,765||₹1,765||₹6,910|
|Bachelor of Science (Maths)||₹3,380||₹1,765||₹1,765||₹6910|
|Master of Arts||₹2,995||₹2,205||₹5200|
|Master of Commerce||₹3,550||₹2,760||₹6310|
|Master of Science (Maths)||₹2,995||₹2,205||₹5200|
Calicut University – What are the Documents required at the time of admission?
The documents required at the time of admission by the candidates at the University of Calicut are-
- 12th Mark sheet or certificate
- Transfer Certificate
- Chalan receipt towards tuition fee, Admission fee
- Chalan receipt
- Self-attested copy of SSLC book
- Self-attested of 2 copies of 12th mark sheet
- Caste certificate (if applicable)
- Degree certificate (for PG Courses)
Calicut University thus offers an abundance of study options and supports placements as well. Being a Central University, it’s courses will add a lot of value to your professional profile, and the courses will pinch you less as well. If you find this blog informative, do like and share among your peers. For the latest updates, please visit the official website of the Calicut University.